Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Rainy Day Bad

I just saw one of the saddest things I've ever seen. I truly cried, which I don't do much. It's raining today- alot. I had gone to lunch with Kate and on the way home stopped by the bank. As I was pulling out, I noticed a little old man standing near the busy street in the rain. I couldn't tell what he was doing there until I got closer. He was dressed in a suit shirt and tie and his suit pants. But in a little old man kind of way, not in a businessman kind of way. And he was holding a sign that read in marker "I need a job please." It crushed me. You could tell it wasn't like the guys on a street corner begging for food or money. This was different. It was more of an act of desperation. I immediately wanted to go to him and offer something. But I didn't know what that would be. Should I give him money? But how much? Food? My umbrella at least? But I didn't. I just teared up and drove on. I failed. I did say a prayer for him, but I still feel I failed. Miserably. What came to mind crushed me even more. "When I was hungry, you fed me. When I was thirsty, you gave me something to drink. When I was naked, you clothed me." I missed my chance to serve.

No comments: