Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Can we inherit memories?

"Nature shows us only the tail of the lion. But I do not doubt that the lion belongs to it even though he cannot at once reveal himself because of his enormous size"
-
Albert Einstein


Deja vu? Past lives? Collective Unconscious? Whatever it's called, is it real? I'm a skeptic, but even I have experienced the deja vu thing. So, Dr. Mehmet Oz mentions on TV that maybe memories are stored in our DNA. What?? DNA? But if you think about it, why not? There is a big percentage of DNA whose functions haven't been identified. If they store other information, like hair color and height from our parents, why not memories? Events they have experienced that are stored in their brain. They then pass those memories on to us, and at some point we access those memories, feeling like we've actually experienced them. I'm not a doctor or scientist, but it seems possible to me.
Dr.Oz also mentions something about 11 dimensions, 3 of which we live in (3D). Funny thing, because just this past week, Todd and I are discussing paranormal events, like ghost encounters and we're total skeptics, so we don't tend to believe in those things. But, I had heard about the theory of these beings not really haunting us, but that sometimes maybe a "curtain" is pulled back and when we think a "ghost" is visiting us, maybe it's that we are getting a glimpse of another dimension. And lo and behold, a few days later, there's Dr.Oz talking about the same darn thing! That dimensions are like "shower curtains" he says, and when they are pulled back, we sometimes get a glimpse into these dimensions. He's referring to past-life regressions, which this show was about. You could tell he was skeptical about it and was explaining that maybe it wasn't necessarily past-lives but seeing into other dimensions, or tapping into the collective unconscious.
This stuff makes my head hurt a little...

No comments: