Saturday, August 2, 2008

August 2, 1973


Today is my birthday. The big 3-5. And I'm sitting here doing what I do everyday. Hoping my baby stays asleep for just a little bit longer and waiting for the damn dog to bark at nothing and wake her up. Happens every stinkin' time. But what am I gonna do? Get rid of her? The dog, I mean. She's 11 years old. Or 77. And again, that brings me back to- ugh- getting older. But what's the alternative? NOT getting older? Then that means...you didn't make it. So, a few gray hairs- ok- several gray hairs is just alright with me. Until my next hair appointment. But I digress....

Why do we celebrate birthdays anyway? So we can sing the same old song to the person who doesn't really want to be celebrating getting older? Maybe I'll start doing what my aunt has always done. We have no idea how old she is because no one knows when her birthday is. She has never celebrated one, as far as I know. And when you ask her, she won't answer you. As kids, we always thought that it was sacrilege to not acknowledge a birthday. What about cakes and presents and singing??? But I think she was onto something.

So next year, don't ask...and I won't tell.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I like a lot of your views on suburban living but I'm curious if you are really satisfied with your station in life. You seem to mix some positive with negative. We're taught, or counseled that our lives are a result of our own choices which, while true, seems to sneak up on us. If you were to really take stock of your situation, to which side would the balance tilt?

Chris said...

Nice take on birthdays. I pretty much agree with you. But I do like to use the day as a celebration of life, if you will. Or just to PAR-TAY!!!

Anonymous said...

I kind of a agree...I don't really need to celebrate the birthday as much as I just need the excuse to eat CAKE...mmmmmm...cake.