Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Lucky Dog or Slum Dog?

We went to see "Slumdog Millionaire" last weekend and I wasn't sure what to expect. I like movies that entertain, but have some redeeming value and that when I walk out, I'm maybe a smarter person. So, "Bride Wars" and the like just don't do it for me. But this movie was incredible. It was stunning. It was heart-wrenching. It was hard to watch, but so worth it. And I realized near the end of the movie, not one person in that theater had moved, or coughed, or, anything. We were all so enveloped by this movie we forgot where we were for a few hours. As we drove away, all I could think was, "How did I get so lucky to be born in America?" I would love to believe my place of birth was written before I came to be, but then why would someone else be doomed to hell on earth as a child? So, I might tend to lean towards the luck of the draw. I know as Americans, we're biased, and think that America is the greatest country in the world. But I think, from everything I've seen, that it probably is. And we are lucky dogs.

1 comment:

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.