Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Marking time?

As he departed office in 1989, President Reagan mused, "My friends, we
did it. We weren't just marking time. We made a difference."

Ever feel like you're "just marking time"? I do. Just about everyday
of my life. Oh, everyone says that raising my kids is the most
important thing I could ever do, but it sure doesn't feel like it.
Loads of laundry, mounds of dirty dishes, countless diaper changes,
and toilet scrubbing do not add up to making a difference. Or do they?
It's a strange place to be. I wouldn't have ever chosen to do anything
else besides be home with my kids, which is what I strongly believe
every mom capable should be doing. But at the same time, it's mind-
numbing. Shouldn't I be out DOING something? Making the world a better
place requires leaving your house, right? Building homes for the
homeless, feeding the poor, clothing the naked. Helping those that
can't help themselves? But essentially, isn't that what I'm already
doing?? My heart says yes, but my mind needs more to feel a sense of
worth. I suppose I'm doing what I can where I'm at. I volunteer in my
community, coaching two soccer teams worth of boys, sitting on the
soccer board to see that everything runs like it should. I support my
church so they can send out those that can do more. But I also tend to
question the motive of those that pack their scheduled so tight, they
have no down time with their family or for themselves. That always
seems to me that they are avoiding something. Maybe the feeling of
inconsequence?

So, after all this is said, I don't know where I stand. Am I making a
difference or just marking time. I'm still not sure. But at least I'm
looking, right?

Sent from my iPhone

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Not sure where to post this but I wanted to ask if anyone has heard of National Clicks?

Can someone help me find it?

Overheard some co-workers talking about it all week but didn't have time to ask so I thought I would post it here to see if someone could help me out.

Seems to be getting alot of buzz right now.

Thanks