Thursday, July 24, 2008

Simplify


I LOVE this poster! I came across a story on the news yesterday where a dumpster diver found some old newspaper clippings from 1944 thrown in the trash. First, who would throw away something so old and cool? And second, what a great motto to live by!
Of course, I already live that way, or at least, I try really hard to. Painted above my mantle is the word "Simplify" and I try to stick to it. It's hard, but I'm working on it. For instance, the pair of shorts I'm wearing right now, I bought in 1999! The fact that they still fit is something to be proud of on it's own! But, they're still in good shape and I'll make them last. Then again, I might end up on Dr.Phil one day on a show about hoarders.
But we are a nation of consumers- a "throw it away, I'll just buy a new one" mentality. I hate that. There was a documentary that came out last year called "What would Jesus buy?", about a group of anti-consumerists that would go into stores and malls and practically harass the employees and customers. I love it! I HATE malls and all the over-priced junk people think they have to have. Every once in a while, I fall for it (iPhone). But I pride myself on not really ever buying anything I can't eat. My goal for my closet is to whittle it down to a few white t-shirts, one pair of jeans, one pair of shorts, and some flip-flops. Oh and of course, my soccer uniform.
I mean how much do we really need? We can only wear one pair of shoes at a time. How big a house do we need, when it's just more to clean and furnish? I don't know about you, but I can only be in one room at a time. Why do I need 3 living areas? So I can put furniture in it that I'll never sit on anyway?

No comments: